Friday, November 17, 2006

American Widgeon

When I first started birding I could identify very few duck species just by sight. Even though I might sight several different species all at the same time, most of them would have flown away before I could find their id in my bird guide book. It took more than one season for me to gain the ability to scan a group and be able to list the different species at a glance. However, when I spied some American Widgeon last weekend among a group of Mallards and Black Ducks no field guide book was necessary to id them. The warm brownish colouring of the body and the white crown and flanks of the male Widegon are easily noted identifiable visual characteristics of this bird. Also the shading around the eyes of these ducks makes me think they are wearing 'eye shadow.'

No comments: