Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Ruffed Grouse (aka Birch Patridge)


The one thing better than seeing one Ruffed Grouse crossing the road is seeing three!
Driving along the highway I had seen one mid-way on the road ahead walking across. I immediately slowed and pulled over and put on my flashers to alert others of my stopping; and also to slow oncoming traffic as well. (this is not a very busy highway) I have seen these birds cause a vehicle to serve around one to avoid hitting it for a Ruffed Gruose will often take its time strolling across.
Thnking that I would have to take a photo through my not too clean windshield, I started to do that when I looked to my left and saw another partidge starting to cross. What great luck. As the second grouse was halfway across I saw another on the left shoulder, however, something must have frightened it for the third Ruffed Grouse suddenly flew across to join the other two which by now had disappered from sight.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great pictures as always ... my young son and I really enjoy looking at your blog.