Thursday, June 19, 2008

Hitchhiking Beetle


Well, I find I really have to fall back on the old words 'cute and sweet' to describe this one, for look at it! Don't you think it seems to be smiling at you? Actually the green spots that look like eyes probably aren't. Perhaps the eyes are in the portion of its face that looks like nostrils? The semi disc shape on its front looks like it is made of plastic and the same edging around the rest of it makes it look like some sort of space creature. My lack of knowledge surrounding beetles (for this is what I think this creature is) is really showing here for I don't know the correct terminology to attach to its various parts but I do love the beauty of the colour and design of this little, fascinating looking creature! I had been walking through a meadow looking for butterflies, carrying my larger camera with the hood on it in my left hand, and I had my camera with my macro lens on my right shoulder on its strap. I happened to glance at the camera hood and saw a tiny bug there, so holding both cameras I took a picture of the little beetle and this is what it turned out to look like close up! Pretty cute I think.

6 comments:

Mary said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mary said...

Sorry about the deletion. I had an obvious mistake in it. That is a very cute little bug! I can't believe how tiny it actually is and yet you can get such detail from it! Wow! It makes you realize why the VW beetle got it's nickname of "Bug". Very similar shape :-) I don't know my beetle parts either, but think you are probably right about where the eyes and such are. Each beetle you show has so much color and pattern! We never see it normally because they are so tiny and we ignore them. I'm enjoying your new macro as much as you are :-)

Anonymous said...

Very interesting bug and such a beautiful pattern and colours!

Becky said...

My goodness, what a shot ! Amazing, and yes I guess he is smiling. LOL.

Mo said...

Amazing macro shot.

spacedlaw said...

This little beetle looks like a jewel (they often do).