Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Black Swallowtail

This beautiful Black Swallowtail butterfly visited my garden yesterday.  It feasted primarily on a beautiful pink Bee Balm and it also tasted clover. .  It is so beautiful and colourful!  I do hope it returns to my garden today.








We have two Pink Coneflowers in bloom and they has been visited by a medium sized orange fritillary and other than yellow Tiger Swallowtails earlier in the summer that is about the total of butterfly sightings in my garden.  I continue to look daily in a nearby milkweed patch looking for Monarchs, but there does not seem to be any around as yet,
Have a good day everyone
note: I had initially identified this butterfly as a Spicebush Swallowtail, but have since reevaluated my id and now call it a Black Swallowtail: thus my erronerous  naming title .

3 comments:

Kingsdowner said...

Gorgeous butterfly!
If you're right and it is a spicebush swallowtail that would be a good record for Canada!

Me Ann My Camera said...

Kingdowner,
Your comment has sent me to check in my guide book once more. I think you may be correct and I was maybe a bit hasty with mt id. I have reconsidered my id, and have decided that it may indeed be a Black Swallowtail. Thank you for your comment.
Ann

Mary said...

Very beautiful! I haven't seen very many butterflies this year so far.