Saturday, September 20, 2014

A Banded Tussock Moth Caterpillar for Saturday's Critters

I am often surprised and delighted with finding unexpected sightings in nature that I have never seen before!  This morning I had one such encounter when I found a

magnificent fuzzy yellow creature resting on a leaf of our Blue Jay Hosta.. After downloading the picture of this amazing looking caterpillar I immediately went searching for my valued field guide  which I have on caterpillars.  I finally located my copy of Caterpillars of Eastern America by David L. Wagner. Previous caterpillar sightings of other intriguing caterpillars suggested to me that this might be a Tussock caterpillar and I believe I was right. I love the magnificent set of eyes of this creature.  The eyes suggest to me that the eyes would indicate the portion of the body being that of the anterior end of the body( anterior; situated at the front of). and  on p.471 of my caterpillar field guide it states that  the Banded Tussock caterpillar" has conspicuous black and white lashes extending from the anterior end of the body" The photo
above illustrates that characteristic of this banded tussock caterpillar.
Another characteristic suggested in my field guide book was that "this caterpillar species frequently rest on upper leaf surfaces in full view" .  That fits  this fuzzy fellow also as can be seen as it lies in full view on a Blue Jay Hosta Leaf. It was so easy to see right there in the open.
Banded Tussock Moth Caterpillar lying on a hosta leaf in full view.

So I conclude that this is a Banded Tussock Moth Caterpillar found on a hosta leaf in Bird Alley this morning.
I am linking this post this morning to Eileen's Saturday's Critters located at:
http://viewingnaturewitheileen.blogspot.ca/

6 comments:

eileeninmd said...

It is a cool looking caterpillar.. Great post and info. Love the photos. Thank you for linking up to my critter party.. Enjoy your weekend!

Pamela Gordon said...

Great photos of this caterpillar.

sunshine said...

A wonderful caterpillar, looks like a small alien.

Hannah said...

I've been discovering this year that I have 3 or more kinds of Tiger moths and their caterpillars living in my yard, yours is not one I have found but the lashes are quite spectacular. Perhaps you will see the moth as well. I get excited seeing the various moths and caterpillars too, great find!

Mary said...

Great caterpillar! They are so fuzzy and odd looking and fun to study! I never see such interesting ones.

Anonymous said...

I saw this little guy near my porch. He was beautiful.