Wednesday, March 08, 2017

Red-tailed Hawk

The interesting thing about a Red-tailed Hawk sighting is that I seldom see its red tail.  However on Monday morning of this week I drove to my favourite spring duck sighting area hoping to see a returned Common Goldeneye or perhaps a pair of Hooded Mergansers.  But no ducks in sight; however I did see huge bird in flight. I didn't see any distinctive markings on it but I raised my camera and was able to pan an image of the bird in flight.
When downloading my pictures at home I was very pleased and surprised to see an outstanding  feature of the bird which  led me to making a confident id! You will see what I mean by viewing the photo below!

 I believe the photo above is showing us a Red-tailed Hawk. Do you agree with me? Perhaps I may find it again as it was in the area where I go looking for returned duck migrants every day.

1 comment:

eileeninmd said...

Hello, that red tail is a great way to id this Hawk. I hope you have a happy day!