Wednesday, June 21, 2017

X isfor Xanthotype Moth for ABC Wednesday

X is for Xanthous and also for Xanthotype Moth
Xanthous is a Greek adjective used to describe a yellow colour.  I read in a couple of places that xanthous  colour was that of the yellow of an egg yolk. Seen below the yellow yoke of a freshly boiled egg  cut in half for my morning's breakfast.


Several years ago I found a pretty yellow moth in our yard. I found its id and discovered that this moth actually was known by two names.  And most important for today's post I found that it was caled a Xanthotype Moth... go figure.  I guess its yellow colour had an influence on its naming It is also known as a Geometer Moth.
I am linking today to Mrs. Nesbitts ABC Wednesday which can be found at

http://abcwednesday-mrsnesbitt.blogspot.ca/

5 comments:

MelodyK said...

Very well chosen words for X... that moth is gorgeous, isn't it

Have a X-traordinary ABC-day / week
♫ M e l ☺ d y ♫ (abc-w-team)
Preview Round 21, starting july 12th

eileeninmd said...

Hello, it is a pretty moth. I like the bright yellow color. Happy Wednesday, enjoy your day!

Roger Owen Green said...

I love eggs!
ROG, ABCW

Leslie: said...

It almost looks like an autumn leaf! Thanks for sharing this.

Leslie
abcw team

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Very nice! Thank you
I learn something new today. It's always nice to know the names of flying insects.