Wednesday, June 22, 2011

A young American Redstart for World Bird Wednesday


I have had a lot of difficulty in identifying this 1st spring male American Redstart. The distinctive upside down 'V' yellow shape on its wing really had me confused until this morning whenI found an illustration ( on p. 391) in my third edition copy of the National Geographic Field Guide to the Birds of North America, that showed that yellow 'v' on its wings that had been confusing me so much. I should have gone with my first hunch, for when I came home yesterday I told my husband I had found a juvenile American Redstart. The clue that brought Redstart to my mind was its yellow tail feather spread that it exhibited and I was able to capture in some of my pictures shown below. We have had juvenile Redstarts in Bird Alley other summers and when I had seen the bird 'fan' its tail feathers :that is what I had thought; that it was a Redstart. I believe my first hunch was right. These little birds are really quick in their busy flitting about and so I had just had aimed my camera at the general area in the bushes where I had seen the Redstart. I think I was lucky to get the images I have. The yellow tail spread shown above is characteristic of a first spring male American Redstart as it 'fanned' its tail feathers.
another feature of this Redstart that I hadn't known about until reading about it in my National Geographic field guide is that this little species is that the first spring male Redstart has black lores. This little guy bird sure does have 'sooty- looking eyes!
And a first spring male Redstart will have black spotting on its breast. This little bird has one dark spot.

So, did I see a first spring male Amerian Redstart? Yes! quite definitely!

Got pictures of birds you would like to share? Why not post them on Worldbird Wednesday? http://pineriverreview.blogspot.com/To find out how, please scroll down the right hand side of this page until you come to the worldbird logo, click on it and follow the directions from there

10 comments:

holdingmoments said...

Birds seldom make it easy to identify, especially the young ones lol

Lovely flash of yellow on the wings.

Unknown said...

Wow!! One so young. Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

jeanlivingsimple said...

Juveniles can be confusing. I have had my share.
Thanks for sharing your photos. Never know....one day I may happen upon a young Redstart.

Stephanie V said...

A beautiful bird...we don't have those here. I can admire yours, though. Thanks.

theconstantwalker said...

A lovely bird I probably will never see in the wild.
Many thanks for sharing.

mick said...

A beautiful bird that we don't have out here in Australia!

Springman said...

Excellent research and use of the camera to confirm your studies. That was fun! You have great instincts obviously!

Sondra said...

Great dectective work on the birds ID--Great photos!

eileeninmd said...

Great sighting and photos. The Redstarts are beautiful birds.

Pat Ulrich said...

Such a lovely little bird!