Thursday, December 15, 2011

A Sharp-shinned Hawk in Bird Alley



I hadn't seen a hawk for months; until yesterday that is. I was sitting in my living room when I saw something with large greyish wings fly downward past my window. I looked out and saw a Chickadee near our feeders, but then noticed movement in the branches of our wild rose bushes. I knew it was a hawk although it was difficult to see. Then it tried to get the Chickadee which was saved by its quick movements and the thorny rosebushes which slowed the Sharp-shinned Hawk in its pursuit. Click on the photo above to see the thorns on the bushes.; the Chickadees seemed to know the branches it offered protection so it stayed around. I couldn't get a good picture of the hawk but I now know its around. I have lots of goldfinches feeding here each day so if the hawk returns they will be in danger. Have a great day everyone!

No comments: