Monday, July 09, 2012

A male yellow bellied sapsucker for Ruby Tuesday two




we have a Buckthorn tree  in our backyard.  Other summers I have noticed it is  favourite place for sapsuckers to visit.  Now I know why!  The trunk of the Buckthorn is riddled with holes and its trunk is glistening with sap. Yesterday I set my birdcam up on a tripod focused on the tree trunk.  Downloading was a delight!!!!  Yes, the sapsucker appeared there, a male adult and a juvenile but no sign of a female with yellow on her markings yet, but the really neat surprise was to see a hummingbird feeding there sipping the sap and also a couple of  orange butterflies,; anglewings I think
a question mark, or maybe they are commas, I don't know  which for sure.
This morning I got this picture  above of the adult male.  I find its colouring so beautiful! We also have
 a young Downy Woodpecker which is seen feeding at the tree trunk often.

Ruby Tuesday 2 meme features photos with red of any subject. To contribute to this meme please go to;
http://rubytuesday2.blogspot.com/



or just click on the Ruby Tuesday 2 badge at the top of the column on the right hand side of this blog page.

5 comments:

eileeninmd said...

The sapsucker is a pretty bird. Great sighting and photos.

Chubskulit Rose said...

Beautiful shots.

Rubies in a Peacock Lamp. Have a great Tuesday!

Liz said...

Fantastic shot.

My entries:
Moms... Check nyo
Yummy-as-can-be

Dianne said...

he's a sweetie :)

cassandrasminicorner said...

Beautiful bird..

Visiting for Ruby Tuesday 2- hope you can stop by..

http://www.mommys4seasonsjourney.com/2012/07/trespassers-warning.html