Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Clearwing Hummingbird moth

This is the first clearwing hummiunbird moth I have seen this summer. I found it in what used to be my favourite Milkweed patch. i say" used to be" for two years ago the plants were all cut down in the fall! I was pretty excited this spring to see a renewal of what appeared would be the regrowth of this favourite milkweed patch. My disappointment was great when checking on the patch one day in early summer to see the plants all mown down again. Not all of them though for today I found a few blossoms among the greenery of a few plants continuing on. I haven't seen any Monarchs there though but I did see this clearwing moth there today. What a joy it was!

4 comments:

Nellie from Beyond My Garden said...

I just love these guys. Here they just showed up over the weekend. In my garden they like the pale pink monarda best. Maybe they are especially attracted to pink?

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Great capture.Glad that some of that milkweed survived.
Blessings,Ruth

Becky said...

I don't belive I have ever had one of these in my garden. Thanks for posting such a beautiful picture Ann.
B.

Mary said...

I love these hummingbird moths, too and have been chasing several around the flower garden where I take butterfly photos. They are so strange looking. I'm glad you have some milkweed coming back....the butterflies sure like, it and the Monarchs will be happy.