Monday, May 28, 2012

Butterflies for Mellow Yellow Monday


Butterflies are a delightful nature accent to each day at this time of year.  We have an old lilac tree (bush?) which attract several of these flying creatures.  this year most noticeable seen feeding there are Red Admirals.  Other years yellow  swallowtails have been most prevalent. I have seen a few swallowtails flying by the past few days but none yet in our lilac bushes,


I have seen American ladies feeding on dandelions and that event creates a very colourful picture. yesterday I saw a Question Mark butterfly in our lilacs, perhaps I am going out on a limb naming it a Question Mark, but the body shape and outline suggested to me it might be of that  anglewing species.

I have seen many little yellow butterflies flitting about in the grass and they are most frustrating to photograph.  when they finally do land, it is most often with their wings closed. this one shown below allowed my camera to get a view of its side wing and from its markings there I have identified it as a Clouded Sulfur Butterfly.


 Got pictures with yellow that you would like to share? Why not post them on Mellow Yellow Monday, a delightful meme that focuses on the colour yellow?Just clink here:http://mellowyellowmonday.blogspot.com/ to access this meme

8 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Beautiful collection of butterflies. They are great captures. Have a Happy Memorial Day.

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

You have some great shots there! Butterflies are among my favorite things to take pictures of, and you're right about those little elusive yellow ones, they can be pretty quick and hard to get a good shot of, but you did!

¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•` ¤ ENJOY YOUR DAY!!*´¨)

Unknown said...

amazing shots! butterflies are beautiful creatures.

Liz said...

Beautiful captures. Have a fabulous week.

Liz @ MLC

Chubskulit Rose said...

Beautiful butterflies!

My Yellow post, please come and see when you get a chance.

J.Rylie.C said...

Very pretty!

Please come and see my YELLOW, thanks!

cassandrasminicorner said...

We love butterflies, great shots!

Visiting for MYM- hope you can stop by and hope you can join my giveaway:)

http://www.mommys4seasonsjourney.com/2012/05/feel-beautiful-and-young-with-eclosbeauty.html

Dawn Fine said...

Lovely shots..I am still in the early learning stages of Butterflies..so much to learn