Friday, May 26, 2017

American Widgeon

It has been a long time since I had seen an American Widgeon and I was confused earlier this week when I saw a pair of ducks I couldn't identify until I saw what looked like a white stripe on the top of the male's head as I was downloading and a glimmer of memory surfaced! unhuh... Widgeon and I went to my Sibley's Guide to Birds and there it was alongside the female of this species which has a beautiful warm,soft brownish colour on its breast.

In the photo above the male is standing to the right of the photo , and the white head stripe is easily seen.  the next day I was able to get a better photo of the female Widgeon.( shown below)
As I was watching the Widgeons from above standing on a highway bridge the male lifted off ( shown above)and I was able to get a couple of good photos of the male in flight. In both of these photos the white headstripe is very evident  on the male.
Have a wonderful rainy day everyone! I hope I can find something interesting on this rainy day to post for Saturday Critters tomorrow.

2 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello, they are pretty ducks. Love the flight shots. Enjoy your day and happy Memorial Day weekend!

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

They are beautiful birds. Nice photos. The shape of the female has a sort ofcharming baby duck look.