Monday, August 21, 2017

Common Wood Nymph Butterfly

I have not seen many butterflies in our yard this summer. Usually I can rely upon our fair sized Purple Cone Flower  patch to host a few butterflies on sunny summer days, but for some reason this summer I have not as yet seen any butterflies there!
The hero  flower patch today has been a few purple  Gayfeather blooms ( aka Liatris).
Early this afternoon while scanning our flower beds I spied movement among the purple bristles of our Liatris spikes.

Ah ha!  I got its picture and after tracking it as it settled on our lawn I was able to id the butterfly as a Common Wood-Nymph.
The two eyes on its Forward Wing are very distinctive!
Tomorrow I shall drive to an area when I have found this species other summers and perhaps I will find others of this  Satyr grouping. 
My companionable camera shall assist me in my endeavour. Until tomorrow.

1 comment:

eileeninmd said...

Hello, pretty shots of the Wood Nymph. The purple blooms are pretty too.
Happy Tuesday, enjoy your day!