Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Adder's Tongue stamens for Ruby Tuesday

I always thought this flower got its name. adder's tongue from these red stamens. they appear a bit startling in their colour and shape.I thought they might have been compared to a snake's tongue  But I can find nothing that relates to the reasons for the adder's tongue  naming of this wildflower. The other names Trout Lily, Fawn Lily and dog-toothed violet are more understanding.  This wildflower though is not a violet but a lily. For more detailed information about its other names I refer you to a post I previously did on this naming topic in May 2008,can be found at:
http://naturetales.blogspot.com/2008/05/dogtooth-violet.html

Happy Ruby Tuesday to all. Ruby Tuesday is a meme hosted by Mary, the Teach, that celebrates red. To see more contributions to this meme or to share your own red for
Ruby Tuesday please click on the HIGHLIGHTEDRuby Tuesday words on this page .

4 comments:

Stephanie V said...

Nice turnabout for Ruby Tuesday. Yesterday's back view was beautiful but this is stunning. I like how the petals curl up like a Dutch hat to show off those stamens.

Kathie Brown said...

Wow, what a name for a flower! Great idea!

Unknown said...

Lovely photo and yes, it has that lily personality, for sure!

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

I like it,no matter what the name.
BLessings,Ruth