Sunday, February 27, 2011

Winter Conditions in Bird Alley

Its really hard to imagine that soon (I hope ) that I will be able to walk throuh Bird Alley and replenish my bird feeders with bird food. The feeder pole shown above has a feeder attached to it, but who could tell?It was there in the fall. it is buried under the snow!!!! The next picture shows the story of what has happened in Bird Alley. Here you can only see the wire to the bird feeder that is attached to the tree branch. Another story of a 'buried in snow' bird feeder.


This old cast iron water pump, shown above,a marvellous buy at a yard sale for $2.oo is not really used as pump but is standing on a 2x6 for decoration, and it doubles as a bird feeder when I sprinkle bird food in its spout, But Not this winterthough, the snow is too deep to get to it!

This blue house bird feeder above is no longer serving its purpose as a bird feeder ,but doubles as a shelter: for yesterday morning I saw a Tree Swallow sheltering under it I seldom attempt to venture into Bird Alley anymore as you can see from the picture above showing the partially opened gate there is so much snow. Too much!
These feeders in our back yard stand empty too!. Maybe next winter I should invest in a pair of snowshoes, but no, hopefully we don't have another winter that is as snowy as this one has been. I know spring will return for it happens every year? "Please hurry Spring. " I am waiting for you with open arms and have high hopes of greeting and feeding returning birds!

7 comments:

Ruth Hiebert said...

Hang in there my friend.Spring will come.I too am anxiously waiting.I had plans on going on a photo ride this afternoon,but with strong winds and colder than expected temperatures,I guess I'll be staying at home,AGAIN.Sigh :(
Blessings,Ruth

Riel Nason said...

That is crazy. I know how high up that is ... and it isn't even drifted is it, that is straight snow!!! The snow here is ridiculous too. It may take until July to melt!

Anonymous said...

Makes me home sick! I would cherish such a challenge in my retirement, as opposed to our cold minimal snow boring conditions!

Your snow shoe idea has merit.

rlr

Becky said...

Too much heavy snow just ruins everything. Some place out front of the house under all the mountains of snow is a Christmas lighted deer. I am almost able to see a part of the butt. I imagine it probably is broken too.
B

Mary said...

Oh my! I can't imagine having that kind of snow. I would go nuts trying to figure out how to feed my birds.

young-eclectic-encounters said...

Wow impressive snow!!! I bet you were glad to see the pussy willows and signs of spring. I can also see why you do quilts to cuddle with. Yours are bright and cheerful. Thank you for sharing

Sybil said...

I am amazed at the difference in snow falls between New Brunswick and the Eastern Shore of Nova Scotia.

I hope the levels keep dropping so you can get at your feeder real soon.

Best wishes,

Sybil

Eastern Passage, NS