Friday, November 22, 2013

A Tree Sparrow Arrives

This morning we saw our first arrival of a winter sparrow a Tree Sparrow.

My husband said there is the Song Sparrow on a feeder and |I replied, maybe its a Tree Sparrow as the Song Sparrows are typically ground feeders and I seldom see one feeding from a feeder.  So I took a picture so that I could examine the features of the sparrow more closely.  And yes!  It was a Tree Sparrow!!!!!  How wonderful, birds changing with the season!!!

I always look for two distinguishing features to identify a Tree Sparrow with.  First Tree Sparrows have a dark breast spot and in this photo it is easy to see , and secondly their bill is bi-coloured as can be seen in the photo.  The bottom part of their bill is yellow!!!    So now you'll be able to identify a Tree Sparrow by finding these two features on a visiting Tree Sparrow.  We still have had a Song Sparrow hanging around this week so I hope it shows up again today and I can document that also.
 

3 comments:

Mary said...

Wonderful! I love all the different sparrows. Each has its own beauty. Love the header and your "bird alley" sign!

eileeninmd said...

They are cute birds, I have never been able to get a good photo of the Tree Sparrow! I like how you were able to show the features of this bird. Well done! Happy Weekend!

Becky said...

I always like to see the Tree sparrows, but haven't seen any yet. Not many winter birds, but the Juncos have arrived, so it won't be long. I really like your sign.