Sunday, December 21, 2014

Evening Grosbeaks on this First Day of Winter

Since our last snowfall, on Wednesday last, the birds have been slow in arriving at our feeders in the morning.  So I was delighted this morning to see some little Goldfinch arrive and I noted them in my daily bird list which I keep.  Whereas Bird Alley is at the side of our house, we also have feeders at the back  of our house which we watch from our dining room window.  Having just seen Goldfinch from my living room I then went to our dining room to check out the feeders there.  A white church feeder is hanging on a Plum tree outside this window and I saw several  large birds there with Goldfinch colouring.  I thought, OMG, those Goldfinch sure are big!!!  and I said that to my husband.  Then it dawned on me.  Not Goldfinch but often desired, and hoped for Evening Grosbeaks!!!!!  These big birds are not beautiful, but   they are impressive, especially the colourful males.  The sunflower seeds in the church feeder were rapidly being devoured.  Oh Happy day!!! even if it is  the first day of winter!  These birds have added a colourful excitement to my morning!!!  Welcome!! winter wanderers!!

                                                  above is a male Evening Grosbeak!


             I have since been out to refill the feeders and  I have spread sunflower seeds on a patio table on our  back deck in an attempt to entice them back.  Grosbeaks apparently like to feed on a flat surface such as the table offers.  I do so hope the Evening Grosbeaks return!!  Back to my window watching!!  Have a wonderful day everyone!

1 comment:

eileeninmd said...

Oh wow, they are beautiful birds. Lucky you! I hope they return too! happy Sunday!