Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Belted Kingfisher (Ceryle alcyon)

I seldom see a Belted Kingfisher and when I do it is usually after its departing call has announced its rapid disappearance down the river. Monday morning was a different scene and experience for me though. Standing on the observation deck above the river I noticed a Belted Kingfisher perched on a rock below. Then it quickly darted down the river; flying low over the water and occasionally skimming the top. Then it turned, and as if it were full of absolute joy and delight of just being alive on such a fine morning; it began darting and skimming over the water again, returning to its original perch on the rock.

Later the Kingfisher moved further up the river and perched on a rock near the shore allowing me to get a more closer view of its beauty. Then the battery in my camera ran out of power and I returned home , marvelling over such a beautiful display of nature that I had just seen.

No comments: