Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Common Yellowthroat (Geothlypis trichas)

I had noticed a few Song Sparrows and White-throated Sparrows moving among the leaves and branches of a nearby corner of bushes and I decided to check it out further. I made a few pishing sounds ("pish, pish, pish") and much to my surprise a curious male Common Yellowthroat poked his head out of the bushes right in front of me.
This male warbler is easily identified because of the black mask he wears. The photo to the left is of a male Common Yellowthroat that I had taken near the same location in May (2006). I often find these warblers in this same spot each season although this has only been my second sighting of the male this year.
Photos of a female Common Yellowthroat can be viewed at: female Common Yellowthroat

No comments: