Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Red-breasted Nuthatch

I've only managed to get these four pictures of this little Red-breasted Nuthatch that I have seen checking out the dining possibilities at my feeders in Bird Alley the past couple of days. It seems very curious and I have seen it in the same spot on two different occasions. Our feeders are very busy right now with 'charms' of Pine Siskins and 'gallups' of Common Redpolls and it must be rather daunting to this little Nuthatch. I'm surprised that it hasn't tried to go to the two peanut feeders that we have for they are usually a favourite feeding place for this species, but so far I have only seen it near our old wooden pedestal feeder.
Perhaps it will be more adventurous the next time it visits.

15 comments:

Mary said...

A very pretty little bird ...so curious and busy. I love the one of him watching you! I haven't seen my red-breasted nuthatch all winter! I just realized that while looking at your photos. I've seen the White-breasted a couple time...not much. I do hope they are still around.

bobbie said...

Can't help it. That first photo looks just like the mother of a girl I went to school with years ago. I'm too distracted by that to think of anything else.

Anonymous said...

So cute - and so fluffed up he's got just a tiny little head on top!! Great shots of one of my favorites!!

Helen said...

That is a beautiful bird, It is smaller than the others at the feeders so it probably did feel out numbered. Helen

Anonymous said...

Nice shots and what a cutie. I don't get much of a variety of birds in my yard. :-(

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

You have some great pictures of this Nuthatch.He is a busy little guy.
Blessings,Ruth

Becky said...

I used to have a few of these little cuties, but I don't know where they went.
Thanks for the pictures, so I an look at them again.
B.

NW Nature Nut said...

I am very behind on reading your blog, so I plan to do a bit of catching up. Your photos are always such a pleasure!

Sharon said...

Such a FUN activity...watching all of your visitors. Beautiful birds and you capture them so well:)

Kerri Farley said...

Oh he is GORGEOUS! I have seen White Breasted Nuthatches around here...but not Red Breasted....so this is a real treat!

Anonymous said...

Nice close ups of this beautiful bird. Seems to me he is not very hungry yet in this winter :)

Anonymous said...

I've only had a red nutty once and all I have are blurry photos. You did well and they are so cute..

Tina said...

They are very quick and I think hard to get a close up of..but you did an excellent job of finding him in your lens!! He is a cutie!!

Kay said...

This beautiful bird is so distinctive. Thanks for sharing your gorgeous photos.

Tootie said...

I love your bird photos! They are such beautiful ones.

Your quilting squares are wonderful!!