Monday, November 02, 2009

Ruffed Grouse

I have been searching for a Ruffed Grouse these past few weeks and have had no luck finding so I have gone back to some of my previous posts for photos and repost them here.

Ruffed Grouse


This Ruffed Grouse, known also as a Partridge, was sitting on a log under our High Bush Cranberry tree yesterday afternoon. This is the time of year when I often check along roadside birch trees on sunny days hoping to catch a glimpse of one feeding in the trees; for that method has most often been my sighting experience. Being able to photograph this Grouse from my living room window was a pleasant surprise.
An earlier photo (November 2002) of a Ruffed Grouse illustrates how well its colours allow it to blend into a fall landscape.

Ruffed Grouse

Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Ruffed Grouse

Another road side find on the weekend was this Ruffed Grouse. I saw it sitting in a driveway when driving by so I stopped further down the road and turned. Before driving back up the road I rolled down my car window and got my camera ready for I know from experience these birds can sometimes take of in a hurry - like a shot! This one looked at me a bit suspiciously but then just ambled along slowly picking up gravel as it went along. Grouse will eat gravel to help them in digesting their food. My most frequent sightings of this bird is often at the beginning of a side road or driveways where gravel can be found.Ruffed Grouse/Partridge photo November 2003

4 comments:

Helen said...

These are beautiful birds. A mom with babies trailing with her is a beautiful sight. Helen

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

I am sure glad you re-posted these.They are fantastic,and I don't think I had seen them before.I hope you get to put your camera lens on one this year as well.
Blessings,Ruth

Becky said...

These grouse are so pretty, Some years ago I heard one drumming for the first time.
Very nice pictures Ann.
B.

Mary said...

I have never seen one of these and think they are fascinating looking. Your photos of them are great. So very different, from most birds I see.