Thursday, April 25, 2013

A Special Tree for Thursday's Inspiration

                             This is a "Once Upon A Time" story of a tree in the forest which does not exist anymore. One winter this stalwart old dead tree succumbed to the fierce elements of a long, cold winter and it fell in the forest.
For all the years that I knew of this special tree it served to hold a magnificent nest at its top, and each year I enjoyed watching several generations of Ospreys rearing their young in this nest on top of the old tree 


                                     Above an Osprey can be seen at the top of this tree.

                                This tree inspired me and so one day I decided to use some of my bird photos and some photo editing skills and to create a counting book for my young grandchildren.  I cleared away the background from the limbs but I left the magnificent nest on the top.
    In the beginning I began with the solitary bare tree.( My intention was to fill the tree limbs with various bird species)
My second page held one bird.  One Osprey on the nest at the top of the tree.  As well as a counting book, I thought my grandchildren could learn bird identification as well.
And so I began to fill up the tree limbs with birds.
The tree on the page shown above now holds 1 Osprey,
2 White-breasted Nuthatch,
3male Purple Finch,
4  wood Ducks ( and yes Wood ducks do perch in trees sometimes)
5 Great Blue Herons,
6 Northern Cardinals
  And then I added 7 Evening Grosbeaks
 8 beautiful Blue Jays..

And as all good intentions often result in in-completion... for my grandchildren quickly learned to count
and  they grew older and my interest waned  And so today I have decided to show my incomplete storybook about the magic bird tree in the forest.

    This post is dedicated to the memory of a magnificent tree which once stood in the forest.

I am linking this post to  Thursday's Inspiration hosted by  Dear Little Red House at:http://dearlittleredhouse.blogspot.ca/



8 comments:

Lorrie said...

I LOVE this post. What a great inspiration that tree was for you. Have you considered offering the book up for publication?

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful story and a magnificent way to remember that tree!

Pamela Gordon said...

This is a wonderful story of a very useful tree even after it had died. The book idea is sweet.

Shane Pollard said...

Hello Ann
I agree with Lorrie I think you could publish your book.
Pre-school and primary school educational publications with a local influence are always sort after.
Your tree story touches my heart!

I feel a great empathy with old trees and your one created a home for many Osprey families over the years.
A beautiful post Ann that tugs at my heart strings.
Shane ♥

debra @ homespun said...

just loved this! :)

Riel Nason said...

Ha, ha, nice tree story. I like the herons.

Pondside said...

I'm another who thinks that this would sell very well. I'd buy it for my grandchildren.

Mary said...

What a wonderful idea! You are so clever and I bet the kids loved it.