Saturday, April 06, 2013

Grackles and Red-winged Blackbirds have arrived

  Yesterday on April 5th, 2013 we had large numbers of Common grackles in our yard.  They were very skittish and flighty but by the end of the day I was able to approach our windows
without seeing a mass black sheet of fleeing birds blocking my view as they left en masse.  Also we saw our first Red-winged Blackbirds of the season as several were mixed in among the Grackles.
A glimpse out my windows this morning sees many Grackles feeding already today.
Yesterday we only had one Song Sparrow feeding in Bird Alley, as well as Chickadees and Blue Jays.  The jays haven't been around much recently. Yesterday we were able to count 8 Mourning Doves feeding in the Alley as well as one male Downy Woodpecker.

 


3 comments:

Ruth Hiebert said...

As much as I don't want too many Grackles around my feeders,they are a beautiful bird.

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

I do love the Red-Winged Blackbirds, but I just wish they didn't eat every single thing they could at the feeders--They just don't believe in sharing! :-)

Annie Jeffries said...

Birds come and go here, not staying long. The good thing is that the mourning doves are sitting on their second clutch of eggs. One family off, another on its way.