Saturday, April 02, 2016

Three White-bodied Fish Eating Ducks for Saturday Critters

The three white-bodied, fish-eating ducks I am posting about today are the earliest duck species that I find in my area.  My most favourite is the striking looking Common Goldeneye and the male of this species sports a white polka dot on its face just below its naming characteristic

, its golden eye.
The next of my favourite white-bodies ducks are of two merganser species.  Yesterday I saw a male Common Merganser in flight.
The male common merganser has a distinctive look with a red bill, white-body with black markings and a dark green head.
The other merganser species I am featuring today is the handsome male Hooded Merganser.  He is a handsopme duck aND I love finding it in the spring!
Here he is as I photographed him this week.  note that he also has a golden eye and he was often diving and disappearing under the pond water in his fishing pursuits.  I
consider him a most handsome duck!! I am linking today to Eileen's meme of Saturday Critters found at:http://viewingnaturewitheileen.blogspot.ca/2016/04/saturdays-critters-120.html

1 comment:

eileeninmd said...

Hello, I love all three of these ducks. The Hooded Merganser is a favorite. Great post. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Have a happy weekend!