Monday, July 28, 2008

Fox

Moving from the meadow and walking through the opening of the tree line onto a bluff overlooking the river I found the Fox below, just a few feet away, standing still, watching the river. It didn't see me and my thoughts were of a perfect picture, but first I had to move away from the branch that was hanging in view between me and the Fox. My movement of course gave my presence away and it turned and looked at me while at the same time started to move away. It didn't hurry or run but there was haste in its movements as it went from the shadows into the sunlight vegetation.
Finding the fox at this spot confirmed my suspicions that this might be one of its hunting locations. This place is a favourite of mine and almost every morning I make my way here to look up and down the river to see if anything is about. About two weeks ago I had found many Crow feathers scattered on the ground where I usually stand and I heard movement in the bushes nearby a couple of times. I think now that it was the Fox, being there at the same time as I was. It had stayed hidden from my view but not from my hearing.

7 comments:

Mary said...

I like the way you give the impression of its coming and going and hiding. Very nice! Now that you know where its territory is, you might see it more often. You seem very "at one" with nature and its rhythms.

me ann my camera said...

mary:
This fox's den is less than a city block away and sitting here at my computer I can look out at the area where it is at. The Fox and I share the same territory and I suppose while its young are still in the den the Fox will stick around this region. I'm still hoping to see all three together sometime, the female and her two young.

Anonymous said...

You take great pictures, the butterfly collection is amazing. We have foxes around but they are very secretive.

Digital Polaroids said...

You are so lucky! Finding a fox is not an everyday issue... congrats!

Rambling Woods said...

Wonderful post Ann..I wonder how the fox surprised a crow since they are never alone...Here people freak out about fox because of rabies in NY state...Michelle

Becky said...

I'm glad you are still able to keep in contact with the fox. Maybe someday you can be friends.LOL

RW said...

Very cool fox shots! Thanks for sharing!!