Sunday, June 26, 2011

Another Snapping Turtle Part Five.


I wasn't out looking for a turtle, really, I just happened to see it at a riverside park as I was driving by on the street. I mean its that time of year when you might happen to see a snapping turtle anytime in in our community.


These snappers can walk quite high and fast when they have a determination to do so.

I would like to say that this one outran me, but that wouldn't be true. I don't think Snapping Turtles can run and I know I can't. I wasted time in my car searching through my purse looking for my little camera to make a video of the turtle. By the time I had located my camera and was out of my car the turtle had traveled quite a distance in its focuseddetermination of reaching the river. I assume it probably had just finished laying eggs somewhere.This turtle was faster than me. I tried to hurry to get near to it but I couldn't. I am sometimes 'slow as a turtle! ( today slower!) I didn't catch up with it until it had walked into the river. Then I was able to get pictures, but no video :-( Above, you can still see some dry places on the shell of this turtles back. This is a favourite shot of mine. The shell sections appear very defined in the light. As the turtle mover further into the river its appearance seemed to change and you might not have recognized it if you hadn't known it was a snapping turtle. As the rushing water washed over it. It like a rock on one of the rocky ledges that are at this location in the river.

4 comments:

Helen said...

You got some very good shots of it. Helen

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

What great shots! This post is like a 'PS' to the others!

I hope you're having an enjoyable Sunday!!

Rick (Ratty) said...

I'm enjoying these posts about snapping turtles. I've never really seen any outside of pictures or video, but I think they've been my favorite kind since childhood.

Mary said...

wow...good photos! These guys always look very prehistoric.